Our 'Three Trees' Promise
We are so proud of our commitment that we’ve even made a special documentary to tell you all about it. And since we made it, we’ve planted even more trees.
You may have seen in our TV ads or on our website our 'three for one' promise of planting
three trees for each one used; but what does that really mean? It means we have surpassed
the standard industry practice of other industry tissue manufacturers, and since 2009
we have planted more than three million extra trees. Importantly, this commitment is not
just about the past and present, but also the future.
We are so proud of our commitment that we’ve even made a special documentary to tell you all about it.
You can view the shorter version below, or to view the full length version,
To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin
The documentary details exactly how, as part of our 'Three Trees' promise, we are pioneering the
planting of native trees on a large scale in previously deforested areas in Brazil. So how can you
help? Well, put simply, the more people who buy Velvet, the more trees there will be in the world.
As further endorsement of the credibility of the project, in May 2012, on the basis of evidence submitted
by SCA, The Advertising Standards Authority noted that we surpassed our commitment to planting three trees
for each one harvested in the production of Velvet.
How the 'Three Trees' Promise works
- Our tissue is made from a mixture of fibres from softwood trees, hardwood trees and recycled material
- All softwood trees used to make Velvet are replaced on a three-for-one basis – this is standard industry practice throughout the tissue industry
- The softwood plantings take place in large managed forests throughout Europe through suppliers and in forests owned by our manufacturers, SCA who are Europe’s largest private forestry company
- SCA also replaces all hardwood trees used to make Velvet on a three-for-one basis – this far exceeds the industry standard, which is to replace each hardwood tree used with one tree
- SCA ensures that each hardwood tree harvested is replaced by another in the plantation where it was grown
- The remaining hardwood trees required to fulfil the Velvet promise are planted in previously deforested areas of Brazil in partnership with a local ethical forestry company called Amata
- So far through this scheme, more than four million indigenous trees have been planted in Brazil, on land that had been previously deforested.
Trees for Cities
See which UK area won